Friday, June 11, 2010

Simple Suisse Dinner

Hi, I am still in Geneva, Switzerland right now. I’m using Geneva as my base and truth be told that I am a bit disappointed why I didn’t book my hotel somewhere in Lavaux, or Lausanne, or even in Vevey instead. Geneva is quite boring and not particularly pretty; well, it’s all about the money here.

What Geneva is all about - the Swiss banking secrecy, it is all about the money here. Swiss Francs are really colorful!

So just quickly want to post my only ‘Swiss Meal’ in this entire stay. I don’t know but I seem to be drawn to Italian restaurants every time I am hungry!

I did not want to try fondue because I don’t want to wake up dehydrated in the middle of the night in my hotel room. Raclette was tempting and I saw the ‘portion’ on the menu which was perfect. Need to taste just a little bit of Swiss fare in this trip, so I ordered a small portion of vegetarian raclette.

My very simple Swiss dinner! Just a portion of Raclette - bread and boiled potato (inside that red basket) dipped on the melted cheese with cornichons on the side.

The Suisse Specialty restaurant in Paquis, Geneva, and guess what? Almost all the diners were foreigners, haha. That doesn’t sound positive to me!

I also ordered green salad and (dried) Vaudois sausage on the side (sorry no foto). Vaud where the sausage is from is another canton in the Lake Geneva region, its capital Lausanne. The wine was Swiss, pointed out by the waitress, nothing spectacular though. She quickly rattled the name of the wine in French and while I (try to) cling on to every French word she said, she was too fast for me! You see I am trying to learn some French words—Oui, Merci, L’addition, s’il vous plait! Haha. Anyway, I am guessing this wine is from Lavaux, Lake Geneva’s wine growing area, also a UNESCO world heritage site.

No comments:

Post a Comment