Saturday, September 17, 2011

The ‘Painted Ladies’ of San Francisco

You know what makes me go WOW about San Francisco? The adorable Victorian and Edwardian houses. I have a weakness for period style architecture and these beautiful houses are everywhere in the city and I just can’t get enough of them. They are just simply WOW.



The 'Postcard Row' Painted Ladies on Steiner Street near Alamo Square. I was supposed to show off the beautiful houses but instead it looks like I am showing off the San Francisco skyline. Bummer.



These wow-factor gorgeous houses are nicknamed, the ‘Painted Ladies’ of San Francisco and the famous ones are on Steiner Street facing the Alamo Square with the San Francisco’s Financial District skyline in the background. The dainty houses are often referred to as the ‘Postcard Row’ and I guess they fit in well to the picture perfect feminine representation of San Francisco, while the Golden Gate Bridge I’d say is the masculine representation of the city.



There are about 48,000 -+ Victorian and Edwardian houses and mansions in the city and they are all over the place, however, many of the lovely ones that makes you go wow are located around the Alamo Square, in the Western Addition neighbourhood, Nobb Hill and in Haight-Ashbury and Lower Haight as well.



Dutchman complains that every time we go out for a walk he is waiting much longer for me in alleys and sidestreets. He often jokes about it that I tend to come along only after a few minutes as I am always 1 or 2 blocks behind. You’d probably ask what is keeping me? Well simple, taking fotos of the beauties and ogling at them as well. I cannot help it.



It is very interesting to learn that the trend of painting houses into different colours only started in 1963, revolutionized by artist, Butch Kardum who started painting his own house in bright primary colours. This lead to heavy criticism from neighbours and conservatives, but eventually, and perhaps due to the rise of the legendary hippie culture at that time (picture this: Janis Joplin in psychedelic coloured outfit), the idea unravelled into a scorching fashion itempainting houses in bright colours! Up to now, the house colouring movement is very much alive in San Francisco. Thanks to trendsetter Kardum.



Hope you enjoy the fotos of these exquisite wooden mansions. Hmm, I wonder how much they cost?







And my only regret: I wish I had taken more fotos of these gorgeous beauties.




No comments:

Post a Comment